Hancock Park District and Ohio State University Extension are partnering to offer an Ohio Certified Volunteer Naturalist (OCVN) training program at Oakwoods Nature Preserve. The OCVN program promotes awareness and citizen stewardship of Ohio’s natural resources through science-based education and community service. The program is administered by Ohio State University Extension in conjunction with local Partners.
Class Dates: Tuesdays, February 22 – May 3
Saturdays, March 26 – April 30
Time: Tuesdays, 6-9PM; Saturdays, 9AM – 3:30PM
Location: Oakwoods Nature Preserve, Discovery Center
Cost: $150 (includes all materials)
To become an OCVN, you must:
- Be at least 18 years old to apply
- Complete 40 hours of combined classroom and field instruction
- Perform 40 hours of approved volunteer service within the first year
- After certification, 20 hours of volunteer service and 8 hours of continuing education are required annually.
- Learn about the biology, ecology and natural history of Ohio from many of the state’s leading experts.
- Become a part of a local and statewide network of dedicated volunteers.
- Apply your talents and passion to protecting, restoring and understanding Ohio’s natural treasures.