1141 Township Road 243, Fostoria, OH 44830
Aeraland is located off State Route 12 or US 224, between Findlay and Arcadia. Take Township Road 243 traveling northeast and the park is located on the east side, just north of Arcadia.
History: Formally called Aeraland, short for Atlas Employee Recreation Area, the parkland was originally created for the employees, families and guests, and retirees of the Atlas Crankshaft Corporation located in Fostoria as a private recreational area. Operating funds were generated by a percentage of sales that came from vending machines in the employee canteen.
Originally opening July 12, 1981, the park housed a swimming pool, variety of recreational courts, parking lots, and picnic areas among other features. In coming years, other attractions would be added including a fishing pond.
After the Fostoria plant closed in 1999, the company had to dispose of assets and the Aeraland Board could no longer responsibly manage the park and the property was donated to the Washington Township trustees who oversaw the maintenance until December, 2012 when it was given to the Hancock Park District.
The parkland covers 75-acres of rolling hills, forest, and meadows, and the south branch of the Portage River runs through it. Aeraland Recreation Area re-opened September, 2013 and is now enjoyed by the public.
- 75 acres of rolling hills, forest, and open meadows
- Goose Lake, public fishing area (3-acres)
- 1 - picnic shelter (first come, first served) FACILITIES SCHEDULE
- Picnic sites
- Green space for outdoor games
- Highline Trail (very primitive) TRAIL CHART
- Paved/gravel parking area
- Soccer field areas
- South branch of the Portage River